Friday, September 17, 2010

Happy Constitution Day!

That's right today is Constitution Day.  There are so many unofficial holidays, and most are for fun or for the elected official that decreed it to tout his stuff.  But this is a particularly good one to observe.

This day is actually called Constitution Day and Citizenship Day.  We celebrate being an American and those that immigrate to our country and become citizens.  This would solve the whole immigration debate if these immigrants could more easily become lawful citizens.  I am proud that my wife's uncle who has been Canadian for nearly five decades of living in the U.S. became an American.  My professor that worked closely with on my thesis became a citizen after two decades of living here while I was working with him.  And I have a sister-in-law from Peru that is about to become a citizen.  I admire these people who have worked hard to improve their lives and have found opportunity in America.

Now with the progressive left marching forward with their agenda at a rapid pace it is important for Americans to know the Constitution so that they me seize the power that inspired document guarantees.  WE THE PEOPLE was not a font error; it was a bold statement to England and the world that we are a free and empowered citizenry.  It is up to us to preserve that power, otherwise the Constitution is just a piece of paper.  The government is taking power and placing burdens on the American public.  Our greatest power is in our ability to fire the government.  Though revolution and force is explained in the Declaration of Independence, I an not talking about that.  I am talking about elections.  This is a critical election to shift the direction the country is going, like the shifting of the tides this is massive.  We are diverting a larger river in one year.  I am also not referring to democrats and republicans.  Conservatism is the answer.  Conservatism is the founding principles that this country was founded on: small government, low taxes, free markets and individual liberty. 

I challenge each of us to read the Declaration of Independence and Constitution of the United States of America again before November 2nd.  We need to become an educated public.  Use these documents as your measuring stick for the candidates on your ballot.  There are many wrongs to be corrected that the progressives have planted firmly like cancer that will be hard and painful to remove, but we must.  It will take honorable leaders, and yes, even elected officials--politicians; men like George Washington, Thomas Jefferson, Abraham Lincoln, Ronald Reagan.  Please take this challenge.

4 comments:

  1. Paul, great blog!! I absolutely agree that all citizens should read and understand the Declaration of independence and the Constitution... our founding documents are so important! However, I don't believe reading and understanding those documents alone makes for an informed electorate. I believe that the issues of our day are VERY complex and require individuals to understand how the founding principles relate to our contemporary social, cultural, economic, and political context. This requires a great deal of deliberate study and personal reflection as we try and wade through extremely muddy political waters. Then we must determine our own positions and vote according to our conscience, not according to traditional party lines. If each voter would do this, I would feel much better about the trajectory our country is taking, regardless of how they actually vote.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for reading my blog and for your comment Jon. I agree with you that reading and studying the the founding documents is enough. It is a start, but if we did this then we would realize how far we have moved from the Constitution and principles of the Declaration of Independence. I like that you say not to be a party line guy, and especially because I think both parties have guilt for our problems we face.

    Here is a point of discussion. Jon, you are correct that the situation and how we got here and the implications of decisions can easily be complicated. I think that the complex problems are solved simply when fundamental principles are understood and applied. It is the same with the principles of God and right and wrong. Take honesty, which applies to both discipleship of Jesus Christ and politics. Honesty is the best policy. If politicians did this one thing then America would be much better off. We need to demand honesty from our representatives in government. There is nothing complicated about the policy even though I think our economic situation is complicated, but much of what I see is dishonest in the discussion and especially the solution that is being tried. The conservative principles I mentioned are not complicated.

    Give me a complex problem or issue and I can identify the principle that provides the solution simply.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, I certainly agree in theory, but in our day-to-day living, that is where we disagree somewhat... but like I said, I am not concerned about whether or not I have an honest disagreement with someone (well-meaning and intelligent people can and will often disagree on the details of those "fundamental principles" and their application to complicated real-life daily situations, even within the church; for example the many fundamental doctrinal disagreements among members of the quorum of the 12 and prophets over the 180 year history of the church--and I'm not talking about apostate general authorities, but faithful authorities in good standing)...

    But back to politics... honestly, I am concerned when politicians say they can provide simple solutions to complex societal problems... sometimes there are indeed fairly straightforward and simple solutions to big problems, but in my opinion much more often there are a variety of serious trade-offs to most political decisions, often with many potential unforeseen consequences (both positive and negative) for various stakeholders (or unwilling-to-be-seen consequences due to strict adherence to some particular ideology)... so when a politician says he/she has a simple solution to a very challenging/complex societal problem, that translates to me as they probably have not thoroughly thought through all of the trade-offs impacting key stakeholders, and the many potential unforeseen consequences (again either out of political expediency, laziness or lack of willingness to go through the mental effort, or due to well meaning but one-sided ideology)... I want to know my political leaders are serious about having the difficult discussions and seeking understanding of differing perspectives/points of view... I want them thinking through all sides and aspects of each issue with a commitment to maintaining personal integrity throughout the process... unfortunately, I don't think that happens very much in our current political landscape (both within many politician circles, as well as among the general citizenry)...

    But you raise some great points and I appreciate your willingness to engage in a civil dialogue... an increasingly rare thing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Jon for your comments. I agree with you on seriously looking at issues. I also agree with you on politicians. I am skeptical and worrisome about them not looking at the best interest of all shareholders, and especially the American people. Power corrupts. Thank you for participating in this dialogue.

    ReplyDelete